Curious About Scepter?

Discussion about the Scepter product line.

Curious About Scepter?

Postby JamesSutton » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:49 pm

We've not yet talked much about our fantasy game, Scepter. Curious about this game line? Ask us some questions and we'll answer what we can.
"Everything's better with cetaceans!"
JamesSutton
Site Admin

Re: Curious About Scepter?

Postby Brasidas » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:11 pm

Sucker that I am for new things, I have a couple questions about this one too...

Specifically, what type of technology level are we looking at here? The bit about the alliance forming (and breaking) of the various nations has me thinking this will be at least renaissance level technology. Steampunk?

Explore ancient ruins for wealth and artifacts. Protect your friends and family. Seek alliances from other nations. Hold firm against the enemy and make war like no others. Take up the scepter and create an empire!

Does this mean there are plans to incorporate detailed domain rules, economics, and such? (Like in Adventurer, Conqueror, King?)
Show yourself a brave man, as a Spartiate should; and do you, allies, follow him like men, and remember that zeal, honor, and obedience mark the good soldier.

Thucydides 5.9.9
Brasidas

Postby JamesSutton » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:58 pm

Brasidas wrote:Specifically, what type of technology level are we looking at here? The bit about the alliance forming (and breaking) of the various nations has me thinking this will be at least renaissance level technology. Steampunk?

Bronze through to early iron age. More Ancient than Medieval.

Brasidas wrote:Does this mean there are plans to incorporate detailed domain rules, economics, and such? (Like in Adventurer, Conqueror, King?)

I'm not familiar with Adventurer, Conqueror, King, but yes. This is necessary to setup and retain the organic nature of campaign-level play over decades (or longer), rather than years (or shorter). As Blue Planet is about individuals and Ruination is about communities, Scepter is about nations. If I were to choose an existing game for comparison of play style, King Arthur Pendragon comes to mind.
JamesSutton
Site Admin

Postby Rrok007 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:14 am

Will Scepter have systems for magic and psionics?
Rrok007

Postby JamesSutton » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:04 pm

Rrok007 wrote:Will Scepter have systems for magic and psionics?

Magic, yes. Psionics, no.
JamesSutton
Site Admin

Postby Balfuset790 » Thu May 08, 2014 5:26 am

You mentioned the similarity to Pendragon above, I presume that means there will be a system for a familial background and inheritance ala that game?

As such, if the game is intended to take place across generations is it likely that the setting will account for the potential advancement in technological level from Ancient towards more Middle Ages, or is the expectation that any one campaign will remain within the boundaries of the Bronze-to-Iron Age level?
Balfuset790

Postby JamesSutton » Thu May 08, 2014 9:58 am

Yes on background/inheritance -- familial continuity. Technologically, within the boundaries of the Bronze-to-Iron Age level. At least, that's the intent. ;)
JamesSutton
Site Admin

Postby Balfuset790 » Thu May 08, 2014 10:34 am

Fair enough. Its going to be interesting to see in that case! It'll be the only game I've seen using that tech level... well, unless you count parts of Legend of the Burning Sands with respect to the Yodotai (Romans) and Senpet (Egyptians)...
Balfuset790

Postby Chadawc » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:04 pm

With it set in that technology level it leaves a large amount of time to work with. With that in mind would there be different roles that the players could play that would be of equal importance. I am not sure if they would be against each other or if they would be working as one. Would one be like a general and the other a king and so on. It would mean that the players would need to set up a pecking order and sometimes that gets ugly fast but if the group is for it it can be pretty fun. It would also leave room for hostile take overs and the like.
Chadawc

Return to General Discussion